Saturday 29 June 2024

 Replaying Part of the Battle of Gettysburg

Over the years what I have wanted from a set of rules has changed.  Forty years ago I was very taken by the “scientific” approach such as carefully reflecting the comparative frontage of different nations battalions depending on their strength and whether they were in two ranks or three. Rules had to cover all the minutia of events which could occur in a battle.

These days my criteria have changed:

  •  I want rules which can fight a battle to the end within 2-3 hours. 
  • They need to be simple enough for friends to pick them up so they can join in a battle and not be at a disadvantage from not knowing the details of the rules.
  • They need to broadly reflect the feel of the period.
  • I like some “friction” in command with units generally following orders but with occasional issues.
  •  I want armies to look like armies and not like the regimental colour party.  
  •  I’d prefer to refight actual battles, or parts of them, rather than “balanced” games.

Last week I came across the excellent “Junior GeneralEducation Resources” web site.  It was originally developed as a aid to teach history through wargames.  The rules and scenarios are simple, aimed at schoolchildren however I felt they would meet many of my criteria above.

I selected The American Civil War - The Battle of Gettysburg (1863) as both sides have few and similar troop types. Also I have 6mm ACW armies.  I read the two pages of rules, set up the table and invited my friend Steve over for a game.

For the rules and scenario see the battle of Gettysburg  page on the Junior General scenarios page. As there were just two of us playing I scaled down the forces to 2/3 of those listed in the scenario.  I lead the  Confederates and Steve commanded the Union forces.

The whole battle took two players, two hours and involved 1464 figures (in 18 Units) and 4 guns.

Ward’s Brigade set themselves up between the two branches of the Plum Run river, choosing to defend the Devils Den and the adjoining high ground.


The confederates powered onto the field advancing swiftly (from right to left) on the union positions.


The confederate pushed hard at the Union lines.


The shooting accuracy of the  union defenders of the Devil’s Den proved pitiful as the oversized 15th Alabama Regt assaulted and took the position.  


The confederates advanced with further reserves moving up in support.



The Plum Run river slowed the Confederate advance allowing the Union reserves to push up to the banks of the river and on to the Little Round Top hill.  The Union reserved had arrived and the Confederates had not made the progress they had planned on the left flank.


I’d explained to Steve that firepower could be devastating in this period and then I promptly ignored my own advice and instructed the 17th Georger Regt to charge across the Plum Run into the 44th New York Regt. The carnage was devastating and the 17th Georger melted under the accurate Union volleys.  The loss of the Regt sealed the fate of the Confederates.  The battle was lost. The Union forces swept up the Confederates and recaptured the Devil’s Den.



I knew the secret of this battle would be for the Confederates to use their initial superiority in numbers to sweep away the defencing Union forces before their reserves arrived.  My left flank was held up for two turns by a very stubborn Union Regiment which slowed my down just enough for the Union reserves to arrive and save the day.

 Good Game!

What's next?  I think I'm going to convince a few more friends to fight in some similar quick and brutal games. 😀


No comments:

Post a Comment