Monday 26 August 2019

Donald Featherstone Weekend at the Wargames Holiday Centre

March 2019
My first post and fittingly one in memory of the man who first got me   interested in wargaming.  Like many of us, of my generation, I  borrowed all of his books from the local library.  This tribute weekend is an annual event but a first for me.  It was to be a Victorian Sudan expedition  with all the players one the same side and the fuzzy wuzzies run by fate and Steve as the referee.

The game started weeks in advance of the weekend with the varies players  requesting commands in the expedition.  Some claims were spurious, some such as "I own a canal narrow boat so I should command a Nile steamer" seemed reasonable.  All were fun to read.

The weekend kicked off on a Friday evening and ran onto the following Sunday afternoon. Stopping only for copious beer and food.  There was a commemoration dinner of the Saturday night with a charity auction.

The game itself was run by Steve Thompson, who painted all  the terrain and figures! The venue was provided by the hospitable Mark Freeth for the Wargames Holiday Centre..

The view up the Nile from the British camp.
Some of the wonderful terrain

The column snakes its way up the bank towards the town
Arriving at the town the troops form line, my highlanders looking good in this photo before the final mad rush of the fanatical followers of the Mahdi.



A fantastic return to table top gaming after a long break.  The guys were very friendly and welcoming.  If you fancy a large battle (24' x 12' table plus 8' width extensions) with 1,000's of troops I'd strongly recommend the Wargames Holiday  Centre.  It allows you to fight the sort of wargame you always imagine but never get around too doing.






No comments:

Post a Comment