Monday 26 August 2019

TTS Learning the Rules and why Warriors are not Good in Woods

May 2019
I've played about 3-4 solo games of "To the Strongest" the Ancients rules from the Big Red Bat. The rules play quickly and well, which is what I want from a set these days.  I've played three games with opponents and this was the third.

As I'm trying out a variety of armies before committing myself, I played this battle with my friend John using on 15mm Orcs and Lizards pretending to be Ancient Britons and Imperial Romans.

It was a cluttered battlefield which favoured the agile Romans as opposed to the unwieldy warbands of British warriors. The Romans refused their right flank and the Britons piled light cavalry on that flank thinking to roll around the Roman flank.

However one of the features of TTS is the army is split down into commands and once a command fails an order no more orders may be give to the units in that command.  The British Warrior warbands kept failing to act on orders due to being in the wood and then rough ground.  John could have moved the cavalry first but wanted to get his main force rolling.  Getting his warbands stuck in the woods severely slowed down his plan to flank the Romans.

This allowed the Roman to attack the centre in force.

Orders in TTS are issued by pulling playing cards, with an Ace being an automatic fail.  John had three commands and …

This battle was the most one sided I have fought in TTS.  My Romans couldn't do any wrong, always following orders and saving in combat.  John's Ancient British, couldn't  follow the simplest orders. In the end the Romans won 11v3.  One of the lessons this battle reinforced was that it is too easy to become focused on one unit and forget about the other units and the over all command.  All I'm hoping is I haven't put my opponent off the rules.  The next battle will by with 15mm Romans and Ancient British models and I expect John to give me a thorough drubbing.  






No comments:

Post a Comment